Sunday, April 5, 2009

fine dining

Wow, it's been a busy but fun week. I think I went to more nice restaurants in the twin cities in the past week and a half than in the past year or more.

On Wednesday the 26th, as a girl's night, some friends and I went to Palomino for happy hour and then to RENT at the Orpheum. We got some appetizers and pizzas to share at Palomino and the happy hour specials on food and drinks were really good so we ended up having a pretty inexpensive meal. It was my first time seeing RENT, and I really enjoyed it. I got the feeling a lot of people in the audience had already seen it because they kept cheering at certain scenes when I had no idea what was going on. It took me a little while to figure out who the characters were, but by the end I was emotionally attached and even got a little teary-eyed at one particular scene - those who have seen it probably know which one I'm talking about!

That Saturday, one of Brian's friends was in town from California, so we got dressed up and went on a little double-date to Morton's steakhouse in downtown Mpls. We went all out getting a couple bottles of wine, appetizers, and dessert. I don't eat meat, so I just had a chopped salad (really good!) and dug into the side dishes.

Next on the restaurant checklist was Fogo de Chao on Monday night. It's an all-you-can-eat Brazilian steakhouse in downtown Minneapolis that has a giant salad bar and staff members who bring cuts of meat around to the tables. I was a little wary about going there at first, since it's a steakhouse, but then I heard about the salad bar and thought I'd give it a try. I'm really happy I did. I probably wouldn't go there very often because it's expensive for just a salad bar, but the food was very good. There was a big variety of food in the salad bar and the hot side dishes delivered to the table were interesting (in a good way!). They brought grilled plantains, something that I think was fried polenta, cheesy biscuits, and one other thing I can't remember.

Finally, on Friday, I went to Chino Latino in Uptown for a combined birthday dinner. My friend Imke, who is visiting Minnesota from Germany, came out with us. I hadn't seen her in two and a half years, so it was really great to see her. In total, we had a group of fourteen girls. We split some dishes between us, which was good because I could try a few different things from the menu, but I can't wait to go back because there are a lot of things I still want to try. After dinner, we met some more people for drinks at Stella's fish cafe. It was a rare night where a lot of people I knew were out in the same place, so I had a lot of fun.

I also did some less exciting things in the past week that I will save for my next post. I think this is enough for now... plus I'm getting hungry from all this food talk!

I'll just leave you with this interesting website I saw the other day: http://ecoworldly.com/2009/04/02/11-extinct-animals-that-have-been-photographed-alive/

No comments:

Post a Comment